Thursday, January 6, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls.

I have to admit, I love me some regular old Pillsbury cinnamon rolls in the can you have to "pop" open... But.. I like controlling the ingredients my family eats, so I made my first batch of homemade cinnamon rolls..  This is the recipe I use for homemade cinnamon rolls.. and it made soo many, I froze half of them.. We will see how good they defrost!

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c. very warm water


  • 1 T. sugar


  • 2 T. yeast


  • 1/2 c. melted butter


  • 2 eggs


  • 2 t. salt


  • 1/2 c. sugar


  • 1 1/2 c. warm milk


  • 5 1/2 c. flour


  • butter


  • brown sugar


  • sugar


  • cinnamon




  • Icing
    • butter
    • vanilla
    • milk
    • powdered sugar
    1. Combine water, 1 T. sugar and yeast.  Set aside for 5-15 minutes to activate.
    2. Mix 1/2 c. sugar, melted butter, eggs, and salt.  Add yeast mixture.
    3. Stir in warm milk.
    4. Add 5 cups flour, 1-2 cups at a time.
    5. Knead dough on a well-floured surface, adding flour as necessary, until dough isn’t sticky.
    6. Let rise until double in a clean, oiled bowl.
    7. Punch down risen dough.  Separate into two pieces.
    8. Roll out dough in a large rectangle.  Spread with softened butter.  Sprinkle liberally with brown sugar, white sugar, and cinnamon.
    9. Roll dough.   Cut into about 12 (1-inch) rolls.  Place in 9×13 pan.  Let rise until double.
    10. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes. 






  • For icing, melt butter (about 2 T.).  Add 1 tsp. vanilla and 2 T. milk.  Sift powdered sugar into mixture and stir well.  I never measure this.  You can absolutely use more of any ingredient.  Spread icing while hot.









  • They were good!  They were my first try and I think I have some room for improvement.  I think I needed to let the dough rise longer, but I am a but impatient.. just ask my poor husband :o)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...